How to use Master Elites in American Buttercream
Video by Cinthia Michael
How to use Master Elites in Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Coloring meringue based buttercream can be tricky, but I’m here to show you, step-by-step, exactly how I achieve brilliantly colored SMBC using The Sugar Art Master Elite color range! 🌈
1. Prepare your SMBC recipe. (Mine yields approx 24oz. Weights are very important here!)
2. Remove 4oz and place into a microwave safe bowl. We will be adding this back to our master batch later
3. Gently melt in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. It should be partially melted, but not completely liquid.
( *DO NOT SKIP THE MELTING STEP. IT IS CRUCIAL FOR COLOR ABSORPTION* Master Elites are activated by moisture and will react with the melted portion of your buttercream.)
4. Add your color (see my stories for a color guideline). I’m using 1/16 tsp to achieve a medium shade.
5. Stir until color is completely dissolved. Color will be very vibrant at first, but remember, we are adding back to our master batch.
6. Return colored buttercream to your master batch of buttercream in your mixing bowl
7. Mix on low speed 2-3 minutes until combined.
8. Turn mixer off and scrape down sides of bowl and spatula.
9. WAIT 30minutes. Again, do NOT skip this step! Mandatory for color development!
10. VOILA! After 30 mins (or more) your buttercream will have intensified in color and you should have beautiful, streak/speck free SMBC!
DARK AND VIBRANT SHADES:
Follow the same guidelines above but with a different color:buttercream ratio
1. Remove 4oz of buttercream from your master batch and place into a microwave safe bowl.
2. Gently melt 5-10 seconds in microwave
3. Using 1/8 tsp PER 4oz, add your color and stir to dissolve.
*If coloring a large batch of buttercream, scale proportion up using 1/8tsp of color per 4oz of buttercream as your guide.*
6. Let develop 30-90 minutes. Longer development time leads to more vibrant tones without adding more Master Elites.
7. Resist the urge to add more color until you’ve waited the suggested amount of time.
1. 1tsp per 6oz SMBC - MUST DEVELOP OVERNIGHT. This is not optional, or a suggestion. It is definitely mandatory or you’ll end up with a charcoal/dark grey buttercream.